Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The Best Heart Medicine




For the past several months, I've been dealing with some relatively serious health issues. You can read more about it here if you'd like more details, but in a nutshell, I've been suffering from acute allergic reactions since November. The cause is still unknown.

Since we don't know exactly what's triggering these episodes, my doctor has put me on a pretty strong cocktail of antihistamines in hopes that they'll help keep me safe while he tries to come up with a diagnosis and a more permanent solution.

Today, I realized that my heart is mirroring my body. There's something wrong there. Something I can't diagnose right now.

After my first major allergic reaction, I saw an allergist who sent me home with no more than an epi-pen in hopes that it was "just a fluke." Needless to say, I sought out a second opinion because I knew that I needed someone who would help keep me safe while we searched for answers. 

In the same way, I want to keep my heart safe as I sort out whatever is going on in there, and I think a hefty dose of God's life-preserving Word is just what the Great Physician ordered. 

God's words of eternal life are like the pills I take each morning and evening to ward off sickness. If I am in God's word, then I am fully armed and protected to face each new day with the belt of truth and the sword of the Spirit.

"If your law had not been my delight," the psalmist writes, "I would have perished in my affliction." He continues, "I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life." (Psalm 119:92-93 ESV)

God uses his word to give us life and to sustain it. In times of uncertainty, his word is reliable and true. We can count on him and his word to keep us safe.

Yes, I want a diagnosis, and I'm sure God will be faithful to search me and test my heart. For now, though, I put on my armor and pray, "I have suffered much; give me life, O LORD, according to your word." (Psalm 119:107 ESV)



No comments:

Post a Comment