Friday, January 21, 2011

He came like a winter snow...

The Christian blogosphere is filled with Sanctity of Life posts this week (read Kevin De Young's "Jesus Loves the Little Children" post here for a fresh perspective).

I wanted to write something, but just felt like so many people have already done it so eloquently that there was no need.

For some reason, though, the Holy Spirit has laid the following passage on my heart this week...

And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, and she exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.”

I get choked up just copy and pasting those words on the page.


The baby leaped for joy in Elizabeth's womb when Mary...the mother of the Savior of the world, a tiny baby...greeted her. The baby leaped for joy in the presence of the Almighty God who had become flesh in the form of a tiny little baby.


When this passage first came to mind, I was just in awe of the fact that a baby could worship God inside the womb. Before he took his first breath, little baby John was already praising his Messiah!


But then it hit me. As wonderful as it is to think that an unborn child could praise his Messiah, it is simply overwhelming to think that the Messiah that he praised was also an unborn child. The God of the universe chose to enter into the world as a tiny little baby... a tiny little unborn baby.



The sanctity of life.





For more on this passage, I recommend listening to Pastor John Piper's sermon entitled "The Baby in My Womb Leaped for Joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment